Hello Guest
Click here to register in a few simple steps to enjoy all features of our Crackingforum. Using fake emails for registration will lead to a permanent ban.

Crackingforum - Best Cracking Forum - Cracking Soul

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Share Thread:

[General Discussion] How many books do you read?

Subscribe to this thread
Hi everyone!
I really love to read books. I was wondering how many readers are here and how many books do you read. Of course i’m talking about an annual average.
I use to read from 10 to 15 books (mostly novels) and i’d like to read more, but for now this is the best I can do. What about you?
Approximately four to five books a year.
More when I was younger. Of course now I read a lot more online content but it's not the same.

I definitely read less than I should and when I do is non-fiction, educational thing. I've been trying myself to convince to start reading Ayn Rand - Atlas Shrugged for months. At the same time, this author has some very bad reputation and I don't know why....

Kindly tell me, OP, what is the book that had the most impact on your life? As in THE omg-fuckme-this-changes-things kinda book?

I'll start: it has to be Nietzsche - Beyond Good and Evil. Read that when I was about 20. That thing slowly and surely deconstructed everything I thought I knew about the world, until I felt like I was hit by a train.
He had a way of telling you things you sort of knew or hinted, but never thought of them before in that cold, matter-of-fact light.

It put me in like a deep depression for about 2 years, not necessarily because the book or the ideas in it were depressing, but because of how fragile, small, naive and how much I overvalued the liittle construct I had about the world back then.

I think that man's intellect and ideas were and still are very underrated by most.  Perhaps his ideas are being interpretted wrong, even though he was the type of man who wouldn't leave much room for interpretion. Funnily enough, he made ethics and morals more relevant to me.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."

Ah, the good ol' memories of late teen angst and existential crisis....
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to hauhauszen for this post:
  • Frenty
Unfortunately I never had the chance to read Nietzsche, but I’d like to give a try to the book that you have mentioned, especially after I’ve seen the third season (if I remember well) of The Sinner, where the main theme was about the creation of a superior kind of man, throught the exploration of our own “abyss”.

Anyway, in my case, I can’t find one specific book that really had a strong impact in my life.
Surely I have some authors that appreciate most than others, like Murakami Haruki, Thomas Harris or a lot of Swedish writers (don’t know why, but the duality between murders and cold places, fascinates me), but it’s hard for me to find the same emotions that Nietzsche managed to give you.
However, I can suggest you to read Endurance, from Alfred Lansing. It talks about an expedition in Antarctica, and shows how much the human body (mind included) can take in order to survive at desperate conditions. A truly compelling read
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Frenty for this post:
  • hauhauszen
One or two top's. I asume audiobooks don't count?
Hi all.

I never read books but prefer to read magazine articles on various topics.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to mikefromtheuk for this post:
  • Frenty
Probably 30 ish a year, I used to read more but time is a premium these days. Audio books on the other hand, as fast as i can acquire them.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to OneOnBottom for this post:
  • Frenty
Books are a tough one for me. I feel like I do so much reading of news, articles, special topic deep dives online, but a book in one subject never really does it for me. Always struggled to read a lot as a kid though, so that might have something to do with it.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to imnewhere002 for this post:
  • Frenty