Hello Guest
Click here to register in a few simple steps to enjoy all features of our Crackingforum. Using fake emails for registration will lead to a permanent ban.

Crackingforum - Best Cracking Forum - Cracking Soul

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Share Thread:

[General Discussion] Trying to learn Linux /python. Any tips?

Subscribe to this thread
I really suck. Anyone here who can recommend a good online resource, a big list of commands and explanations? anything other than YouTube. I've not found anyone there watchable.

Thanks, y'all
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Kenticus for this post:
  • DA
Look at the first five chapters of The Unix Programming Environment. It's an old book - really old book, and while it has a bit of obsolete info in it, it's a good intro on to how to use Unix (Linux) as a programming environment. They send a lot of command output to either lpr (print to printer command) and mail - I would just redirect the output to a file instead of using those commands. [I'm old - this book was new when I was first learning Unix.] The info in the book is a starting point. Unix and Linux have evolved well past what this book covers. I searched to see if someone had done a rewrite of the book targeting a modern version of Linux, but didn't find anything.

One thing they do in the book that likely looks crazy is using the commands "ed", "cat", and "echo" to create and edit files. While you can use a friendly visual editor or an IDE to create and edit files, learning to use these command line tools to manipulate text files is very helpful if you are looking at doing something like say ... processing a list of user names and passwords to pass on to some other command that may do something useful with said info.

With respect to Linux commands, there are thousands of them, but I found this, which might be useful, but it is far from complete
https://ss64.com/bash/

If you are trying to do X under Linux, google "how to X in bash" will likely lead to a few stackoverflow links, which can lead you to the command or commands you need to accomplish X.

I don't have any suggestions on the python front other than googling for python tutorials and finding one that works for you. If you are trying to do something specific in python, google how to do x in python and you'll likely get results from stackoverflow, which again, is a good source of info on specific howto knowledge.
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to ciygvg for this post:
  • DA, Kenticus
(27-02-2021, 08:00 AM)ciygvg Wrote: Look at the first five chapters of The Unix Programming Environment. It's an old book - really old book, and while it has a bit of obsolete info in it, it's a good intro on to how to use Unix (Linux) as a programming environment. They send a lot of command output to either lpr (print to printer command) and mail - I would just redirect the output to a file instead of using those commands. [I'm old - this book was new when I was first learning Unix.] The info in the book is a starting point. Unix and Linux have evolved well past what this book covers. I searched to see if someone had done a rewrite of the book targeting a modern version of Linux, but didn't find anything.

One thing they do in the book that likely looks crazy is using the commands "ed", "cat", and "echo" to create and edit files. While you can use a friendly visual editor or an IDE to create and edit files, learning to use these command line tools to manipulate text files is very helpful if you are looking at doing something like say ... processing a list of user names and passwords to pass on to some other command that may do something useful with said info.

With respect to Linux commands, there are thousands of them, but I found this, which might be useful, but it is far from complete
https://ss64.com/bash/

If you are trying to do X under Linux, google "how to X in bash" will likely lead to a few stackoverflow links, which can lead you to the command or commands you need to accomplish X.

I don't have any suggestions on the python front other than googling for python tutorials and finding one that works for you. If you are trying to do something specific in python, google how to do x in python and you'll likely get results from stackoverflow, which again, is a good source of info on specific howto knowledge.
Old fuckers, assemble!
Thank you for the reference material , I'm having flashes of understanding and progress as I create scripts. Problem is once I close the terminal and go do other things, I come back and it all seems new again. No sense of retention. As far as using Unix commands, hell yeah. I need to learn what a nut and bolt is before I start building the machine. Trying to use pre-written scripts is not helpful for me, too easy.
If you think of any other reference stuff, please let me know. I'm doing this for fun and it isn't yet.

Appreciate it, man.